Generative AI News Rundown – ChatGPT, Google Rumors, Elon Musk, Zoom, Coke and More – Voicebot Podcast Ep 311
The Generative AI News (GAIN) rundown for March 30, 2023, had controversy, competition, Coca-Cola, and more. Is there a more dynamic market right now than generative AI? I don’t think so.
This week’s show is hosted by Bret Kinsella (that’s me) with guests Silke Hahn, technology editor at Heise Online, and Eric Schwartz, head writer at Voicebot.ai. The top stories in generative AI land this week include:
Musk Wants to Slow Down AI
- The Letter: A letter from the Future of Life Institue signed by Elon Musk, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, Stability AI founder Emad Mostaque, and 17k others called for a six-month moratorium on “the training of AI systems more powerful than GPT-4.” But maybe this isn’t an entirely altruistic activity.
Google Rumors and More Issues
- Haunted by ChatGPT: Google rumors pointed to the company using ChatGPT data in Bard training and efforts to combine DeepMind brains and Google AI team brains to catch up with OpenAI’s chatbot. The headlines don’t tell the real story.
OpenAI Declares War and Defends the Citadel
- ChatGPT Plugins: OpenAI is adding plugins to ChatGPT. This puts everyone on notice that OpenAI is now an end-user application product provider and an AI model provider.
- ChatGPT Security: A serious ChatGPT security vulnerability was discovered by a security researcher and promptly patched by OpenAI. There is a bigger story here.
Perplexity AI Lands Funding
- Conversational search wars: It’s not cheap to compete in the search business. Perplexity AI just raised $25.6 million to challenge Bing Chat and Google Bard for conversational search market share.
Stanford Finds Its LLiMit
- Alpaca sent packing: Stanford University launched a web demo of its Alpaca generative AI model based on Meta’s LLaMA model and trained using ChatGPT-generated data. It was shut down in just a couple of days due to safety and cost concerns.
Zoom Goes Generative
- From video to smart companion: Zoom IQ is adding new generative AI features to extend the value of video conferencing beyond the meeting.
Coke Tapping into DALL-E Magic
- New (Coke) custom OpenAI model: Coca-Cola has a new marketing campaign that asks artists to create Coke-themed imagery using a custom implementation of DALL-E.
More About GAIN
The GAIN Rundown was originally broadcast live on YouTube and LinkedIn, and we also added it to the Voicebot Podcast for your convenience. If you would like to watch the show live, join us on YouTube or LinkedIn at 12 noon ET (NYC) on Thursdays. You can re-watch each week’s discussion on Voicebot’s YouTube channel and view the visuals that accompany the show.
GENERATIVE AI NEWS RUNDOWN – SHOW NOTES MARCH 23, 2023
- Follow Bret Kinsella on Twitter and LinkedIn: @bretkinsella
- Follow Eric Schwartz on Twitter: @erichschwartz
- Follow Silke Hahn on Twitter: @_SilkeHahn
Follow @bretkinsella Follow @voicebotai
Reghu Thanumalayan from Deutsche Telekom Talks Magenta and the Future of Voice Assistants – Voicebot Podcast Ep 310
Generative AI News Rundown 7 – Nvidia, Google, Midjourney, TikTok, Roblox, and More – Voicebot Podcast Ep 309