Dr. Patricia Scanlon of SoapBox Labs Talks Voice AI and Education – Voicebot Podcast Ep 206
Dr. Patricia Scanlon is CEO and co-founder of SoapBox Labs, the leading company focused on voice recognition technology for children. Most voice recognition solutions today are optimized for adult speakers and have high error rates when applied to children’s vocal patterns which are constrained by immature biological development and language proficiency. SoapBox Labs was created to fill this gap in ASR performance for kids.
In today’s interview, Scanlon discusses the EdTech market, the changing perceptions of venture capital related to the segment, new applications for speech recognition for children, and how COVID-19 has impacted the market.
Dr. Patricia Scanlon earned an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering and then went on to complete her PhD in speech recognition with a focus on signal processing and machine learning at the University College Dublin. Those studies included research at both Columbia University and IBM. That was followed by seven years on the research staff at Bell Labs and Alcatel-Lucent before founding SoapBox Labs.
Show Notes – Dr. Patricia Scanlon Interview – SoapBox Labs
- Follow Patricia Scanlon and SoapBox Labs on Twitter and the Web: @scanlonpatricia @SoapBoxLabs SoapBoxLabs
- Read about SoapBox Labs in Voicebot: SoapBox Labs and Amplify Debut Voice-Based Children’s Literacy Assessment
- Read about SoapBox Labs 2020 fundraising: SoapBox Labs $6.3M Investment
- Listen to SoapBox Lab’s Niamh Bushnell discuss the 2020 year in voice tech in Europe: Voice AI in Europe Year-in-Review 2020
- Read about SoapBox Labs’ early education initiative with Florida State University: Irish Startup Teams with American Universities to Improve Child Literacy
You can listen to the podcast interview above, on Google or Apple Podcasts, or most of the leading podcast players.