Tom Hewitson CEO of Labworks Shares 10 Hot Takes from 2.5 Years in Voice – Voicebot Podcast Ep 124
Tom Hewitson is CEO and founder of Labworks.io, a voice app studio in London known from some of the most popular games on Alexa such as Would You Rather, Trivia Hero, True or False and Mental Samurai hosted by actor Rob Lowe.
In this week’s episode, Tom offers 10 Hot Takes from 2.5 Years in voice based on his presentation at the All About Voice Conference in Munich. He touches on some controversial topics such as lack of discovery, how closed platforms like Alexa and Google Assistant stifle innovation, the lack of return on multimodal efforts, too much focus on persona, and lack of monetization. It’s a rare dose of unvarnished honesty from a voice developer in a public forum.
Tom Hewitson founded Labworks in 2016 as a chatbot consultancy but shifted into voice apps about a year later. Before Labworks, Tom worked as a freelance journalist and a content designer. He spent time as a digital editor for Lonely Planet and a content strategist at Facebook. He earned an M.S. in political journalism and TV production from City University London and an undergraduate degree in economics from the University of Sussex.
Show Notes – Tom Hewitson Interview
- Read about Tom’s recognition as a Top 44 Leader in Voice: Top 11 Design and Product Pros in Voice
- Listen to Tom on Voicebot Podcast: Voice Assistant Year in Review 2018 – Voicebot Podcast Ep 74
- Follow Tom and Labworks on Twitter and the Web: @tomhewitson @labworksio Labworks.io
- Check out some Labworks games on Alexa: Play Some Games
- See the slides from Tom’s presentation from the All About Voice Conference: 10 Hot Takes from 2.5 Years in Voice
Thank you to our sponsor, ReadSpeaker. Learn about how you can leverage text-to-speech in multiple languages and for a variety of use cases ranging from healthcare to making your website audio-ready at ReadSpeaker.com.
You can listen to the podcast interview above, on Google or Apple Podcasts or most of the leading podcast players.