In-Car Voice Assistants Reclaim Some Active Users as Pandemic Subsides – New Report
The in-car voice assistant market took a bigger hit than the other device surfaces during the pandemic. As consumers were commuting less often and had fewer places to drive that were open, the use of in-car voice assistants overall declined in 2020 and 2021 in the U.S. — falling from a high of 130 million to 125 million today. While the monthly active users (MAU) fell even more precipitously in 2020 shedding 15 million users, the 2021 figures represented here from January 2022 recovered to about 72 million. As consumers started driving again, the habitual users began to return.DOWNLOAD REPORT
A Static Market
The overall trend for voice assistants in the car is stasis. The user base is now stable and MAU numbers are recovering. However, there is barely any change in the market share for leading voice assistant providers or for the use cases consumers employ. It suddenly looks like a mature market. Voicebot Research identifies some applications that might shake up the market’s static nature in the full report. Without the innovation of a compelling new application, there does not appear to be another catalyst on the horizon to change any of the current trends.
Women Use Voice Assistants More While Driving
Another point of consistency in this market is the user base skew toward women. For the past four years, women have accounted for 54-55% of in-car voice assistant users. We do not see a similar skew in the use of voice assistants through smartphones or smart speakers. There is something about the car environment that is different.
Communication use cases such as making a phone call or sending a text account for the bulk of the difference today. In many other use case categories, women actually employ voice assistants less frequently than men.
Data for In-Car Voice Assistant Adoption
The U.S. In-Car Voice Assistant Consumer Adoption Report 2022 is the most comprehensive analysis of the market size, market share, sentiment, and use cases related to voice assistants on the road published to date. Some of the 28 charts in the report are listed below. Click the button to see the full chart list and get the report and executive summary.
- U.S. Adult Users of In-Car Voice Assistants 2022
- U.S. Adoption of the Big 3 Voice Assistant Surfaces
- The Short History of Voice in the Car
- In-car Voice Assistant Users – U.S. 2019-22
- Relative Market Share of Voice Assistants Used in the Car 2019-22
- In-Car Voice Assistant Users by Gender 2019-21
- Relative Market Share of Voice Assistants Used in the Car by Gender 2022
- Relative Market Share of Voice Assistants Used in the Car by Age 2022
- U.S. Frequency of In-car Voice Assistant Use 2019-22
- Voice Assistant Influence of Car Purchase Decision – U.S. 2019-22
- In-Car Voice Assistant Options by Automaker 2022
- And many more…
Use the button above to access the report. Also, if you have any questions or want to share your thoughts on the findings feel free to message Bret Kinsella on Twitter.